And what a time for some reflection. Turning 24 didn't seem to mean all that much, but I think I have accomplished some growth over this last year. I can't say that it was the easiest year for me. I've learned that I am much better off without certain things in my life and there are things no longer in my life that I'm not better off without. I can't say that I made the best decisions at times, but I've definitely done what I felt was best for my son and myself. I can say that I've learned the following:
- when your 3 1/2 year old goes off to preschool after never being in daycare expect that they will catch everything that is going around and then some.
- never underestimate the laws of physics.. when one thing goes bad about a dozen others do too
- hot weather and two kids at the zoo don't mix.. Even if they are getting to see a dinosaur exhibit they were dying to see
- life is much easier after your child is potty trained.. no more packing diapers/pull ups and all that stuff just to go somewhere.
- once children learn they have an opinion and can assert themselves be prepared for back talking... the worst. :(
- Potty training a 3 year old and a new puppy is one of the most frustrating things I've ever done.
- it is empowering to end something that is going no where when its nothing more than a game for the other person.
- I may be opinionated, but at least I can speak up for myself.
- I may not have a ton of money and I may not be out on my own, but at least I can take care of my child and know that he is happy, cared for, and loved without thinking twice.
- When your child has a new obsession you are going to hear about it non stop for as long as that obsession lasts.
- The "why" stage is almost as bad as the terrible two's.
- my family and best friends are the best anyone could ask for, even if we don't always get along
- Some people have no hesitation when it comes to throwing others into disarray and leaving a mess for them to clean up.. sucks when you are on the receiving end of that
I can't say that I can embrace whole-heartedly the challenges of parenting with the challenges that come with a child going back and forth.. I am, however, in the process of asserting my role as mom, friend, sister, daughter, and whatever other labels that may come my way. I am no longer going to allow others to dismiss my concerns, opinions, and needs. I am no longer going to sit back and just give in because its easier than letting someone be upset with me. I am making it a goal for me (at 25) that I am ok with the outcomes of speaking my mind and sticking to my convictions. I have to just allow myself to do what I feel is right even if it makes another upset. I know this isn't going to be the easiest especially in the parenting realm of my life, but it's something I have to do...

1 comments:
I've come to the realization that age is a sliding scale - I remember when 30 seemed old to me, but now that I'll be 33 this year it seems young! I hope you have a great year!
Post a Comment