Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Turning Six....


"When I was One, I had just begun. When I was Two, I was nearly new. When I was Three, I was hardly me. When I was Four, I was not much more. When I was Five, I was just alive. But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever, So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever." ~ A. A. Milne

If we thought five was great, six is going to be even better. Well if you ask William six is going to be better. He was so excited for his birthday. We had talked about several ideas for invitations and cakes. He ultimately landed on Camo..... He really really loves camo. We found ourselves some camo invitations (more army style) and we actually found a cake (granted at Walmart) that was camo and had a tank on it. The tank actually transforms (he LOVES it!). We actually had a pretty good turn out of kids, which was good considering I almost had a minor heart attack at the lack of RSVP's we got at the beginning. We, of course, ended up at Chuck E Cheese for the 4th year in a row.



They played A LOT and they all enjoyed some pizza. When it came time for presents, everyone was excited and wanted to help. Although, a few friends were pretty shy and wanted to stay close to mom and dad. The picture above (camo boots) was a very special gift from William's best friend Austin. Austin knows William all to well. When his mom RSVP'd for the party she mentioned that he wanted to get William something camo. :) The other kids had great gifts for William too. And there were several that he had been asking for for a long time. The woodworking kit, helicopter, hot wheels, transformers, NERF dartboard, video games, etc. He made out like a little bandit.


Grandma and Grandpa Neet even got him a few special things. A book from Grandma and Grandpa got him a couple tools (hammer, etc) for his tool kit he got for Christmas. He loved it. He also got a few pictures from a couple friends he loved. That was super sweet of them too. I think my kiddo has got some pretty awesome friends. I'm glad he knows how to pick (99% of the time) good ones. Let's just hope that keeps going.

The party went off great and everyone had a good time. I'm sure we'll figure a way to out do ourselves next year. Granted we won't be at Chuck E Cheese. I'm proud of my kiddo. Some of the best moments of him turning six came from his party and the treats we took into his class the day before. From Ocean asking him "IS IT YOUR BIRTHDAY????!??!?!?!" two inches from William's ear and nearly yelling, to Tayler talking with Julie and showing off her Iphone... to all the other kids who came and made it a very special day. It's on his birthday that I'm especially reminded of how truly special my child is. He is an amazing kid, who is smart, funny, rambunctious, sweet, loving, stubborn, opinionated, and most of all mine. I am blessed to have him as my son. I know I don't have to make such a big deal out of his birthday, but I do, because it's his. I want him to enjoy his birthdays. Growing up my parents didn't always have the money to throw parties like what William gets, but we always had fun. I want him to remember just how loved he is and know that each year he's here is a year we celebrate.

I tend to look back on his birthday to when he was born. Holding him for the first time. Celebrating the fact that he was here and healthy. I can reflect all I want on that day, but it doesn't compare to his happiness on his birthday. For me that's all I need. I will always hold those first memories dear and they are as clear today as they were six years ago. But this year it was nice to celebrate with everyone on his birthday. It made it just that much more special. So Happy Birthday to my little.. oh I mean, big six year old! I hope that this year is better than last.. that you grow a little taller, smarter, stronger.... And that no matter what you remember you are loved... and that you give love back to those important to you.

0 comments: