Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Allergies... The boy hates them...

William has had a hard time with those allergies this year. And just like last year it's started to induce coughing... again! The worst part is that with his dr. saying he has asthma it can induce an attack. Luckilly we haven't had that problem and they were short coughing spells. One time we used the inhaler with that. So after consulting with his pediatrician she wanted to see him and so I took him in. Reluctantly on a friday I had to work and only because she wouldn't be in the office until 08-18-08 after this friday opening.

Poor kid, we get there and he's asleep in the backseat. No, nothing new there. He was exhausted and not the least bit happy with me over having to wake him up. According to grandma he didn't even want to go and told her that he would "stay home instead". After getting in there right away, literally we just walked over there, said hi to the fishies, and they called his name, we were met by a nice medical assistant/nurse. I can't remember which title she had, but she was very detailed in what she wanted. My little guy got weighed, which he is now a hefty 39 lbs fully clothed, had his temperature taken, and they got his pulse and oxygen levels. Which was a little nerve racking for me. I know he generally doesn't have a problem breathing. He's always had good oxygen levels. It was kind of a shock to see him at 93-95% just resting and breathing like normal, when he's always been at least 99% at his worst.

After some questions about what's been going on, where we live, etc. his ped. checked him out and listened to his lungs, and checked his nose for the allergy stuff. Turns out the little guy has some inflammation in his nose and lungs, which is mainly from the allergies. Could have something to do with all the farms, nurseries, orchards, vineyards, etc. out there where we live. She added two new medications on top of what we are already doing. One is a preventative for asthma and one is preventative for allergies.

I am having some issues with the asthma one as the container it is in for the inhaler piece doesn't fit in his spacer and so it makes it harder to see if he's actually getting the correct dose. We have tried by mouth and he doens't like it that way. I guess we will just have to find a way to get it going right. The one for allergies is a nasal spray and while he tolerates it, I feel bad, as I wouldn't do that to myself and I'm doing it to him. I hate nasal sprays, eye/ear drops and can't do them to myself. I can't believe that I am doing that to him. Poor kid.

However, so far, so good, and if all continues this way hopefully he won't have to use his inhaler at school. I'm hoping that once August goes and September is here that those allergies will be a thing of the past and we can get rid of a few medications for a while.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Awww, poor kid. Allergies are no fun for sure, I should know. I hope they're not too bad for him...
I'm sure the preventative meds for both the allergies and the asthma will make a big improvement, though.
That's funny about the nasal spray-- I know I would be the exact same way, I'd feel so bad for him, knowing I would never do it myself!