Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goodbye 2011... Hello 2012

The last few years I've looked back on past years in a month by month break down of how things went, but this year I'm not going to do that.  2011 wasn't a horrible year, but it brought some definite hard times and low points.  It also brought some good times and great memories. I'm just going to highlight a few of each of those good and bad this time. I think it puts more into perspective for me this time around. 

So we'll start with the bad or low points of the year.  I think it's better to end on a good note. 
The major low point of the year was William's appendix and recurring illness at the end of the year.  After visiting his dad and step mom in Bend over Memorial Day weekend, he came home sick.  What we thought was just a normal viral illness and eventual stomach upset turned out to be much much more.  It landed us at Doernbecher's Children's Hospital for six days, requiring surgery, numerous tests, and an ambulance ride.  We left the hospital in much better shape than when we entered and I am now happy to say that we are completely back to normal.  The end of the year, however, brought much frustration.  October left him fighting off pneumonia, November brought strep throat, and December brought ear infections.  It just seemed like he couldn't catch a break.  That too, for now has subsided and we are hoping for a much better year health wise for him. 

My big downer has been an ongoing fight with nausea that has led to them diagnosing gallbladder issues.  2012 for me is going to start off late in January with surgery to see if it corrects the ongoing nausea issue. 

Last year also marked the loss of a friendship I had had for a long time.  One that I was hurt to lose, but am finding that things are much less stressful and drama filled without said person.  I learned the hard way what trying to help someone can do and never imagined that this person could say the things they said, do the things they did, and blow off their financial responsibilities like they did.  I do wish them well on their journey through this life.  I hope they find what they are looking for and that they and their child have what they need and want in life.  The loss of this person also affected the children involved as they've grown up together.  Maybe someday they'll wake up and see what they've lost, but until then we're moving on in life and so far so good.

 In November, we had to make the hard decision to put our cat to sleep.  She had suddenly become very jaundiced and sick.  After consulting with a veterinarian and doing what the suggested it was clear that she was having no part in what the treatment required us to do.  Force feeding a cat is a hard task, I don't care who you are.  She eventually got to the point where she just wanted to hide and was very skinny and frail no matter what we did.  It wasn't an easy decision and there were many many tears shed over it.  The person who helped us at the humane society did ease our minds.  She said after working at the numerous vet clinics and how she'd seen many cats in her condition just have their lives prolonged in ways that were not only painful (iv lines, force feedings or feeding tubes) she said it was in her best interest to be put to sleep.  Prolonging the suffering is no way for any animal or person to live.  We said our goodbyes and as I was waiting for them to bring out her towel and container William found the kittens.  We ended up adopting a sassy black and white kitty.  Her name is Astra and she is a handful.  I know it doesn't bring back Nica, but it's helped him cope with the loss of a cat who was older than he is. 

Okay enough of the depressing stuff, lets get onto the good stuff.
2011 brought some good times too,  William's 6th birthday kicked off the year on a good start.  There were lots of people there and he had a ton of fun with friends and family.  We had a good time and were thrilled to see the turnout of family and friends there to celebrate.  It meant a lot.  I couldn't believe my baby was 6 and now seven is just right around the corner. It truly is amazing how quickly time flies. 

We were able to take a couple vacations this last year.  My boyfriend and I were able to take a little vacation on our own to Vegas at the end of Feb. beginning of March.  We had a great time seeing several different shows, walking the strip, sightseeing, and just relaxing.  I sure missed my kiddo though and even though we had fun I was very happy to get home at the end of the week.  I've never left him with anyone longer than just a couple days, so a week was a long time.  We talked everyday and I know he was good for grandma and grandpa,but I still missed him tons.  


Our second vacation came just a few weeks after he got out of the hospital.  We traveled down to California again.  We visited several family and friends.  We went to the beach, park and just hung out.  We also saw Transformers 3 and went to a fair while we were there.  William had a blast and made a couple new friends.  We can't wait to get back, but hopefully soon some of them will be able to visit us.  We had quite a good time even though we drove and it was a very long drive.  


Outside of the holidays, which were amazing, the end of the year brought first grade and football.  William has an amazing first grade teacher who he really likes and enjoys learning all sorts of things from.  He has made several friends and I'm proud to say is at a third grade reading level.  During their reading time they go to different classrooms he is in a room with all kids who are at a third grade reading level, whether they are third graders or younger.  It's great!  I love that he's gotten so smart and is such a great reader.  Football started right before school did and he had a blast.  It was great and we all had a good time.  There were lots of games and his team managed to win all but 3 during the season.  They were able to play in the playoff games at Reeser Stadium in Corvallis and they all earned medals and trophies.  We look forward to playing again this next season.  


Well that's the best and the worst from this last year.  I certainly hope that 2012 brings more good than bad.  That we all find happiness, love, prosperity, health, and most of all the ability to be content with our life and those in it. So goodbye 2011... Hello 2012. 

0 comments: